Topic: White Noise Machine - Marpac/Dohm Sound Machine

Hi all

I really feel I must recommend this product to you all. I know some of you use wireless headphones or earplugs but you must give this a try.

It is the Marpac/Dohm White Noise Sound Machine (www.whitenoisemachine.co.uk) and it is £64.99 (honestly a well spent sum of money).

Essentially it is a fan inside a small white box and you have two settings, both of which emit a whooshing sound. There is no sound loop as it is an actual fan inside.

I suffer from NN's and I can hear an audible base from their music but thankfully once I switch this on it drowns out all noise without being annoying either. I can happily drift off to sleep with this on.

I don't know if we are supposed to endorse products on here but I really feel some of you are suffering where suffering isn't necessary.

I don't know if it will help all cases but it should surely help.

I know you can buy these a bit cheaper on eBay but they are normally from the US so you will be subjected to customs charges.

Please if anyone buys on as a result of this post please let me know whether it has helped at all.

Thanks

Last edited by fedupdan (24 April 2013 09:49)

Re: White Noise Machine - Marpac/Dohm Sound Machine

Thankyou Dan - anything that may assist another member/visitor is always a bonus wink

Thanks Dan - would it be any good for using in a living room (for example) and still be able to watch TV or does it block out ALL sound? Considering one...

Hi

I have one of these and I'm so pleased with it. It blocks out next doors violin practice and teaching and also  the sound of the tv downstairs. It does make it hard to hear my own tv though unless I have it turned up really loud. I also have a Boombuster cd which blocks the loud hum from the tumble dryer downstairs (they've got it in their lounge for some reason) and also the sound of their tv, I find this works very well. Lastly, I use noise cancelling headphones sometimes for watching tv or listening to music and these are brilliant but make my ears sore after a while. It's awful that we shold have to go to these lengths but I find them a good way of coping. (My neighbours aren't nasty luckily, just loud sometimes.)

NikNak sorry i didnt see your message.

I can happily watch TV with it on its like being in your own little bubble then.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Dan I have ordered one based on your recommendation!

(I can't seem to login on this computer, I try to and it just says "Sorry but we think you are bot [sic], you can't login on this forum" !! I'm not a bot lol sad )

I'll feedback when I can smile

I hope you find it useful.

Im at the airport about to go on holiday for a week and its in my suitcase just incase.

Let me know how it goes.

NikNak, did you buy one? What do you think? I took it on holiday, although the voltage in Turkey made it less powerful it helped drown out the crap night entertainment of my hotel.

I also had it on yesterday evening as my bitch of a neighbour decided she needed her music on from 7pm until 10.30pm.

I'd be interested in one of these, does it block out/cover impact noise like door bangs, footsteps/thumps and cupboard doors?  My neighbours likes to shout and sing and I think it might work on that but I also have to deal with a lot of impact noise.  Thanks

Hi HelpMe

I would have thought so, I put mine on yesterday and it blocks out most noises, I even struggle hearing my partner talking to me whilst she is laying next to (not such a bad thing) and I am only 30 so cant blame it on being too old.

It isn't intrusive though.

Hope this helps

Just an update - I decided to order one of these and it just arrived.  I went into a spare office at work and tested it out.  I found the noise very relaxing actually but it doesn't sound that loud.  Maybe it'll sound different and louder in my room in the dead of night.  We'll see.  Even if it doesn't block the sound of the wailing banshee upstairs, masking it will be an improvement and the noise it makes will hopefully be something nicer to focus on than Mrs Shouts-a-lot!  I'll give it a week and see if it helps.

In an ideal world I shouldn't need this at all, but if I don't try something I may go crazy!

I think they are quite loud, without being two overbearing.

There are two settings on the front, but then also the top bit swivels a bit to open up more gaps to let more of the "whooshing" sound out.

So pop it on two and then twist the outer shell.

Let me know.

Sorry for the late reply Dan. I did buy one but it's not loud enough to mask the stomping and shouting sad I have a pair of speakers which I am playing white noise though as an alternative - and I can control the sound level of it.

Really?

Have you tried it on level 2 and twisted it to open more of the side vents?

Sorry, I really thought it would work.

Yeah it's on the highest/loudest setting. Don't worry, I was going to buy one before you mentioned it to be honest. I use it with earplugs for sleeping now, it's quite nice to drop off to sleep to.